SGS Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dianthus Barbatus

BBC demo Saturday 17th September

Re earlier thread:Please take action - BBC promoting Greyhound Racing

A demonstration is planned outside the BBC Scotland headquarters at 40 Pacific Quay G51 1DA to coincide with the "Doors Open" event. We intend to be there with some of the "victims" ie Greyhounds :throb: from 11am - 3.30 pm on Saturday 17th. I have contacted the local police and they will inform the BBC.

This is a good opportunity to publicise the situation - I see on the website that there are 12 tours per day that weekend. they depart every 30mins and can have as many as 25 people......here's hoping they're fully booked!

Please think about coming along with some of your dogs if you are in that area.

Denise

So glad a demonstration is going ahead. But gutted that I can't be there =( This weekend we are kennelling our dogs (against my better judgement) because we're through at my parents in Dundee for a family occasion (greyhounds not welcome). Otherwise I would have hopped on the train to Glasgow with Molly in a flash. Cannot begin to express just how angry I am about all this, all the more so since they made it personal by infringing my copyright! Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help save for be there at the demonstration itself.

Aww! Sorry you can't manage along especially as they infringed your copyright! Would be good if dogs from various rescues were there.

Working on a leaflet just now.....any suggestions for slogan for placard would be welcome.

Denise

Hmmm, I'll have a wee think & get back to you. What about something relating to their use of the term 'adoption' versus actual greyhound adoption? Or something about them using our license fees to gamble with greyhounds' lives?

What an ideal situation, so sad that I cant come along, I have so much to do on Saturday, there is no way I could fit this in, sorry :-(

Will be able to make it along........ with Cali and Fonzie

Thanks! Look forward to meeting you. Cali and Fonzie :D

Showme Thebunny raced yet again on 9th September and came in 3rd - so no change of heart yet on the part of the BBC :(

Denise

Email sent to STV news :crossedfingers:

Denise

For those intending to go, follow signs for Glasgow Science Centre; BBC building is just across from it.

The main entrance to the BBC is at the side of the building, facing across to the main entrance to the Science Centre.

There is no available on-road parking nearby - double yellow lines.

I went there today and parked in the Science Centre car park. Says on the blurb about the open days that parking is available at BBC, but their car park looked pretty full to me (don't know if they charge). Anyway, didn't explore that possibility - can't imagine we'd be very welcome taking up spaces for our protest!

Parking at Science Centre costs £3 (for 24 hrs I think). As we're going to be there for a few hours went inside to check on toilets - there are some near the entrance, just past the pay in desk, down the corridor leading to the cinema. I asked someone if it was possible to use them without paying to go in - answer yes. However, as I was leaving I also saw some portable ones outside.

To leave the car park you need to get a token from one of the machines outside the main entrance.......I only discovered this after I drove to the barrier thinking I could pay someone there, silly me should read notices :excl: Next, I couldn't manage to put the token in the machine without getting out of the car. By the time I got back in the barrier had gone down and I had to call security to let me out :blush: Finally escaped!! Good job there wasn't a queue of cars behind me!

They weren't using the main/main entrance to the Science Centre today if you know what I mean, so if they used that entrance at the weekend then my description of locations inside would change a bit, but if it's like today and you are wanting to have anything to eat/drink, best to take it with you as cafe facilities are beyond the pay-in desk. There was a gift shop on my right as I went in, but I'm not sure if they sell anything like that.

BTW just checked and the BBC "Doors Open" tours are now full.

Denise

If anyone reads this before 9.30 Chris Evans on Radio 2 has said he will be talking about greyhound rehoming on his show today.

Wonder if this is the BBC making a poor attempt to 'balance' out the Colin Murray thing?

Sorry cannot be at this, wish you all the very best and hope something good comes from it :flowers:

If anyone reads this before 9.30 Chris Evans on Radio 2 has said he will be talking about greyhound rehoming on his show today.

Wonder if this is the BBC making a poor attempt to 'balance' out the Colin Murray thing?

Interesting. I just caught the last half hour of his show & there was no mention of greyhounds. Did I miss it?

Not sure - I had to leave for work at about 8am.

At the back of 7am he mentioned he'd had a greyhound called Harrison at his house but he "hadn't been suitable" for some reason - think he was too keen on small animals - but Chris Evans said "we'll have more on rehoming greyhounds later in the show" but I heard nothing more.

Might be worth checking the show on iPlayer if it turns up.

Apologies if this was all a dream prompted by too much perusing of this board. But fairly sure it wasn't!

I think he's adopting an ex racing hound, sure I read it somewhere...off to google....

ETA Can't find anything on google, but I'm pretty sure I didnt' dream it :unsure:

Me neither Katie. All I could find was something from back in 1999 saying he'd bought a racing greyhound called 'Ickle Ginger' =(

This morning's show is up on iPlayer so I'll check it tonight once I get in from work to see if I've started hallucinating or not ...

Good luck on saturday, sorry I can't come my wknd has gone into overload :mellow:

A bit too far away from me I'm afraid.

Good luck though, it sounds like an ideal opportunity. :crossedfingers: you get a good turnout!

Phew! I'm not going mad!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p2d9w

The show dated the 15th September. About 18 mins 50 seconds in, he mentions that a greyhound named Harrison came to his house the previous day with a view to him adopting it as a pet, but his German Shepherd didn't get on with Harrison at all, so it didn't happen.

He then says that Harrison is still available and says he will talk more about greyhound rehoming later in the programme, but I can't be @rsed listening to the remaining 3 hours to find out if he does!

It does sound like something he is doing privately, so I withdraw the suggestion that the BBC were trying to counter the inevitable bad publicity it will get from the rotter Murray.

Oh well, I suppose that's something. Like you, I can't be bothered sitting through 3 hours of Chris Evans but I'm sure if anything significant was said it'll be reported elsewhere before too long...

I'm told this demo has made p19 of today's Daily Telegraph with photo of two people from one of the other rescues. Don't know what they've written. Anyone else seen it?

Denise

Didn't know about that. Pics up on Facebook though.

:lol: reason I'm looking over and grinning in the last one is that this is typical Abbie :wub: lying on the ground.......she only lasts for 5 min standing - anywhere.....taking the "lazy Greyhound" image to extremes as usual!!

Mistake in my previous post - it's Pat Nevin with someone from another rescue in the Telegraph, am hoping someone is going to email me the blurb soon.....I think it's something along the lines of Pat Nevin joining protests outside BBC

Denise

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information