SGS Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Annette Middleton

Phantom pregnancy

Guest Annette Middleton

My greyhound, Amber, who I adopted on 20/10/18 is going through a phantom pregnancy, producing milk, she is on and off her food and has bouts of bad diorea. I took her to see vet and he confirmed this. Any tips and advice will be very helpful. 

Thanks

Annette 

Ah that's bad timing! The exact same thing happened to my own dog when we fostered/adopted her. She had a season while she was in foster and while we were waiting for a good time to neuter after that she went through a phantom pregnancy. She would take herself off to a bed upstairs and make a nest with her toys and was more sulky than usual. The vet gave her meds to stop producing milk as if it is left to build up it could cause infections if I remember right. No real advice except just give her a wee bit of nesting space if she wants it and keep an eye on her with other dogs/people/kids as her hormones will be all over the place, and might cause out of character reactions.

Thanks for your reply, Amber is very clingy with us, not her toys.

Vet has said to give her scrambled egg tomorrow morning to see if she'll eat then phone him at midday with update. She refused all food today but seems perky, hard to gauge as she's only been with us 10 days.