SGS Forum
Gnasher

Melia update

Melia has settled in to domestic life brilliantly. She's been with us for seven weeks now and is part of the family now. Our vet gave her a health check 6 weeks ago and she is in perfect condition, her weight is up 2 kilos and as you can see from the photos she is a magnificent specimen of greyhoundness. Her personality is coming out too, she loves to play and is very cheeky. Downside of her playfulness is that our garden has turned into a field. She is still lead walked most of the time but gets to run in Nora's paddock a few times a week which is great as it gets rid of her energy. Three weeks ago we decided to start off lead training on a beach we know locally that is always quiet. We borrowed a long training lead and tried her recall to a dog whistle. Unfortunately the first attempt didn't go to plan. A lady appeared with a dog just as i whistled and she run right past me heading for the dog. Luckily she was wearing her harness, unluckily she is one powerful hound, and jerked me clean off my feet when she got to the end of the lead and i had to let go as i was upside down in the sand. Next thing the woman has the dog ( not sure what breed, a wee hairy dug) is her arms and Melia is jumping up exuberantly but not aggressively. The woman was fine and we carried on, eventually finding a quiet spot to resume training, ditching the lead and using her favourite ball. It went perfectly and she loves her grub so treat training makes it easy.

I've let her off lead a few times since but never with other dogs around to distract. Today on the beach i let her off from the start but with her muzzle on, taking it off occasionally  for her to play with her ball. She spotted a couple in the distance with two young black labs playing in the river outlet and shot off in their direction at a rate of knots, strangely, mid run, becoming stone deaf as i blew the life out of my whistle. I needn't have worried as she slammed on the brakes and suddenly became their best buddies, running around like dafties. It was good to see her playing so naturally with other dogs and getting to run free. I can see good times ahead. 

The training will continue in increments and i have no doubt that within another month or two she will be off lead  with Desmo as she a smart cookie is Melia.

Hope you enjoy the photos    :)

IMG_7346.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

IMG_7351.JPG

IMG_7352.JPG

IMG_7353.JPG

IMG_7354.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7357.JPG

IMG_7358.JPG

Brilliant update! So good to see her so happy and having .

Fab update.    She's a special girl that one :yes: 

Lovely to see pics of her having fun.  We also need pics of wee Desmo :) 

9 hours ago, Alva said:

Wow,  she looks very happy :)

if you do venture back to long line maybe try a bungee section onto harness to help a little with jolts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-Bungee-Shock-37-cm/dp/B0044DIJKW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523611287&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+lead+bungee

Thanks for that, don't know if i'll be using the long lead again though. To be honest, i think they are a bit dangerous. 

Melia still has a lot to learn about recall. She's great if there are no distractions but when she clocks a distant dug or furry thing she is off like a rocket. Last weekend she spied a spaniel running around and did a leap of faith into a river, scrambled up the opposite bank and flew over to "play" with the dog. To be honest although she isn't aggressive i think it's too intimidating so i'm going to be ultra careful where she gets off lead.

Thought i'd post a few more photos of Melia. It's 6 months since she came into our lives and she is an absolute joy. She is off lead pretty much all the time and is really responsive to the whistle. Loves to play with other dogs. Loves to meet people. Loves life.

This is Melia on the beach with her playpal  Maisie.

IMG_7471.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG

IMG_7476.JPG

IMG_7477.JPG

IMG_7478.JPG

IMG_7482.JPG

6 months ! Time flies and obs for Melia when she is having fun! Great action shots ...... I’d love to see one of them on the sgs calendar 📆 2019. 

These are fab :) can’t believe that 6 months already.   Doesn’t seem that long ago.    Great to hear she’s doing well.  

I can hardly believe that's 6 months already. Melia sounds like such a fun girl and having a great life with you and her new pal.

Thanks for the update it's so nice to hear how the adopted hounds are doing in their new homes.