SGS Forum
Sallydust

Keeping us safe

We just had a bit of a mad weekend, a couple of things happened that highlighted to us that we need to keep our volunteers safe, one thing was one of our volunteers turning up in a pretty run down area to collect a dog and the person not being there, it meant she had to hang around in that area to see if we could find the person, during that time she was alone and vulnerable, so in future if we have any concerns at all we will ask for two volunteers or for the person giving up the dog to bring the dog to a place of our choosing.

The other thing that happened was one of our volunteers was assaulted doing a meet up between dogs, this was just the result of a crazy person and really couldn't have been foreseen, there was also one of our fosters and two of our adopters there, it was very traumatic for everyone involved,  thankfully everyone is okay but it again highlighted to us that we are sometimes vulnerable, so the team will do a quick risk assessment for any activities our team and volunteers are going to do.

We are also thinking of how to protect people doing home checks, I think it will be a case of asking if two folk can do it or asking folk to drop a message to us to say they are going and again when they come out, generally we weed out the crazy folk at the initial call but that can't be guaranteed, happy to take suggestions on board on how best to do this.

SGS couldn't exist without our amazing team of volunteers so its paramount that we keep you all safe, thanks for all you do everyone :signthankspin: 

OMG this sounds terrible!

Maybe if we are not sure about the area, where the hc should be, we could ask around. I remember being once in North Glasgow. The area was one of the bad ones and the lady was actually not mentaly healthy. Even Rudy was a bit afraid of her, she seemed so unstable. Nothing bad happened, but I only can imagine, what if.

This is absolutely  shocking and I hope none of the volunteers OR houndies were hurt. It's really hard to foresee what or who awaits doing home checks and worse picking up a dog from unknown circumstances. Years ago when I did home checks there were always 2 on the visit and if poss someone driving- in my case my hubby- and always have a mobile. Being the nosey git that I am, if I could, we always had a nosey at an address before we went to see if things looked okay before carrying on.

Messaging/ texting before and after is a good idea, Katie. Hope nothing like that happens again- it can be very daunting, but hope only isolated incidents. ?

Shocking thoughts and prayers to all that were involved. When I do home checks if I am unsure I always tell them that hubby is sitting outside 

That's awful!! When I'm doing Homechecks Brian and I usually team up or if he's not available I get Jim to come with me. We've had a couple that I've been glad he was there. I do the same if we are picking up a dog as you never know how that will go in case they have a change of heart etc. 

I hope everyone involved this weekend is ok and nothing like that happens again xx

What a sorry state the world is coming to.  I agree it would be a good idea always take a 2nd person, even if they sit in the car.  can't be too careful these days.

Hello all, haven't been on the forum for a wee while due to work and uni. Really sorry to read this and hope everyone involved is ok. As someone who has done home visits as part of clinical placements at uni, I'd say always go with another person and always let someone else know all the details of where you are going, who you are meeting, their address and phone number, and the times of visit, etc. Also, always trust your gut instinct - if it doesn't feel right, don't put yourself and others at risk - and if you are concerned about anyone in the home (people or animals), contact the police with the details.

Best wishes,

Fiona